Circuit Civil Court


Civil Cases

  • File lawsuits in excess of $25,000, appeals from lower courts, motions, orders, pleadings, and other documents relating to lawsuits filed with the court.
  • Types of cases include but are not limited to: condemnation, contract debt, damage (personal injury and property), distress warrant, foreign judgment, habitual motor offender, judicial hospitalization, minor settlement, reciprocal, and workers compensation.
  • Issue Process - notice, summons, subpoena, execution by levy or garnishment.
  • All jury and non-jury trials are set by the Judge's office by agreement. No notices are sent out.

Execution by Levy or Garnishment

Judgments for money may be enforced by execution (T.C.A. 26-1-103). This is used to collect judgments that are final and no appeal has been filed. Judgments in Circuit Court are final after 30 days.


You may garnish a person's wages or levy on anything of value they own (bank account, automobile, etc.). It is your responsibility to obtain this information before filing the appropriate paperwork.

Personal Property Exemption

Each defendant is entitled to file a personal property exemption up $10,000 which may include items of personal property in his possession and money and funds on deposit with a bank or other financial institution up to $10,000 (T.C.A. 26-2-102).

Petition to Pay By Installments

After a judgment has been rendered in court and the time to appeal has elapsed, without such an appeal having been made, a Petition to Pay By Installments may be filed with the court and set for hearing. You must appear in court and the judge will determine the payment amount based on the information you have provided. This payment agreement will stay the issuance of a levy or garnishment as long as your payments are current.

After Hours Filing Information

For your convenience, an after hours filing box is located at the Justice Center in the jail visitation area. If a filing fee is required, you will be contacted the next business day regarding payment.

Legal Advice

Deputy Clerks cannot give legal advice. They will file your paperwork, but they cannot advise you on what action you should take. You should consult an attorney for legal advice.

Payment Policy

We do not accept personal checks. Individuals may pay with a cashiers check, money order, credit/debit card (a processing fee will apply) or cash.

After Hours Payment Information

or your convenience in making payments, Kiosk machines are located in the jail lobby (24 hour access) and at the Blount County Probation Office and at the County Clerks Drive Thru located at 500 N Cusick Street Maryville TN